La Paz County offers visitors a wide range of Activities, Events and Points of Interest, from the pioneers and settlers who came here to settle in the various communities, to prospectors and ranchers whose descendants still reside in the area, the region has a military history which is some cases was even classified as 'Top Secret' as well as a community that was initially a relocation camp for Japanese and a reservation that was created and now makes up the Colorado River Indian Tribes (C.R.I.T.). Some of the old historic building are on private property or not accessible due to there deteriorated condition but can still be viewed from roads. Some of the places are open to the public or can be only reached by driving or hiking to them. Natural and Scenic Beauty surrounds us here in La Paz County. This page is dedicated to listing some of the Points of Interest in La Paz County.
9-11 Memorial Monument - The citizens of McMullen Valley designed and and built a monument to honor the victims and families of Sept 11, 2001 terrorist attacks. A piece of the debris of the towers was incorporated into the design. The memorial is located at the McMullen Valley Chamber of Commerce building and is the only memorial in La Paz County.
Bouse Assay Office - Located on the former site of the gold rush era Alaska Hotel, the Bouse Assay Office was built about 1902 by the bouse Townsite, Land & Improvement Company and was used as their sales office. It has not been determined when it became the Assay office, however assay services were provided from Bouse for Swansea and other mines up and down the Bill Williams River. After restoration was completed around 1991, the Bouse Chamber of Commerce opened the building to the public as a Museum.
Bouse Mining Shack - The mining shack is believed to have been built about 1910 in Swansea and was moved initially by Bud Muse and later to his house behind the Ocotillo Lodge. The shack was later donated to the Bouse Chamber of Commerce by Roland and Adele Miller in 1997 and was again relocated to its current location beside the Bouse Museum.
C.R.I.T. Museum - The CRIT Museum provides a comprehensive history of the Colorado River Indian Tribes and their heritages and traditions. The museum houses cultural artifacts and exhibits, photos showing Tribal history, and provides an overview of CRIT and its people. Its exhibits and information date back to before the CRIT Reservation was established in 1865 and run through present day.
Cullen's Well (Lighthouse in the desert') - Sometimes known as the "lighthouse in the desert", Cullen's Well was the only stable source of water between Wickenburg and Ehrenberg. There was a light at the top of a pole at the site to guide travelers at night, which is where the name "lighthouse in the desert" came from. Built by Charles C. Cullen, this well was started in the mid 1800's and continued well after Cullen's death in 1878. One story as to the light's origin was that a young man died within shouting distance of the well, and so the light was put up to prevent that from happening again. Today, only part of the well is left.
Dick Wick Hall's Historical Marker and gravesite - the founder of Salome is honored with both an historic marker and the historical gravesite near the site of his old office and home, near the intersection of Center and Hall Streets.
Harrisburg Cemetery - The beautiful Pioneer Cemetery of Harrisburg is well maintained and cared for by the local residents. The cemetery is fenced with a large stone monument in the center, which was erected by the La Paz Sheriff’s Posse in December 1985. There are a few headstones standing that are legible. Several small white rock enclosures outlining additional graves, but no names or dates indicating those interred. In total there are approximately 33 interments.
Hi Jolly Cemetery - Named after Hadji Ali (Philip Tedro), a camel master employed by the US Army during the late 1850's during their trial use of camels to cross the desert. The pioneer section also contains many of the last resting places of early pioneers of Tyson's Well/Quartzsite.
Judge Hagely's House - The white bungalow well off the road was the home of Judge George Hagley, born in Quartzsite and served in the Army during WWI. He becamethe Justice of the Peace in Quartzsitemin the late 1940s, and the front rooms of his house served as his courtroom. Judge Hagely died in Quartzsite in 1977.
Bouse 'Fisherman' Intaglio - The Bouse Fisherman is an Intaglio also known as a geoglyph or earth figure. These very large earth figures were created many years ago by American Indians. The fisherman was first spotted in 1932 on the desert floor when George Palmer, a pilot, saw an enormous human figure with outstretched hands. Abtracts in the form of anthropomorphic, zoomorphic, geometric and curvilinear design have been discovered in the past. All are rare, fragile and important. In 1984, the Colorado River Indian Tribes sponsored a flight which led to a second discovery of the Bouse Fisherman.
Historic La Paz Townsite - La Paz was a short-lived, early gold mining town along the Colorado River on the western border the La Paz County . It was the location of the La Paz Incident in 1863, the westernmost confrontation of the American Civil War. The town was settled in 1862 in New Mexico Territory, before the Arizona Territory was officially declared a United States territory by President Abraham Lincoln. Today nothing remains of La Paz except a couple of crumbling stone foundations and a historical marker.
The Currier House - Brothers Ben and John Currier lived in this adobe house in the early 1900s. The brothers were actors, miners and prospectors who worked claims in Colorado, California and Arizona in the Plomosa Mountains east of Quartzsite. Their old adobe with its small forge for blacksmithing is the finest original adobe remaining in Quartzsite. Ben died in 1941 and John in 1942.
Quartzsite Jail - The old jail sits about 100 yards back from the street, behind a new large netal building. It was built in the mid 1930s. About 12' x 12' and constructed of concrete, the door is from the old territorial prison in Yuma. It was used to hold rowdy drunks or others that may need to be transported to Yuma for Trial. It became obsolete when roads were improved to Yuma and prisoners could be transported in a few hours.
Judge Lacy's House - Partially covered on the south side of the building by dirt from the elevated roadway, the Lacy house was built about 1930. Judge Lacy served as Justice of the Peace in Quartzsite from 1933 to 1938. Judge Lacy died in 1941 and the building itself has served many uses since then.
Tyson's Well Stage Museum - Built around 1866, the well provided much needed water for travelers and livestock, rest, meals and overnight accomodation for thse on the Arizona Stage Company (later the California/Arizona State Company). In 1893, this became Quartzsites first post office - postmarked "Tysons"
Tyson Well (Original Site) - rediscovered when Main St was widened, this was the original site of the first well in the area drilled by Charly Tyson. A marker now marks the spot at the edge of the road across from the museum.
Wenden Cemetery - There are some 135 plus marked graves and approx 87 unmarked sites in the cemetery. A number of "old Timers" are buried in Wenden.